page views

Deathmapping: Just Cause 2′s 11m Casualties

Someone needs to redub it with Kanye's All Of The Lights
This is extraordinary – a cartographic depiction of player deaths in Just Cause 2, creating a beauteous terrain map composed only of light-points. Each point represents one of 11 million fatalities caused by impact with terrain or objects. It’s a god’s-eye view of gaming.


As well as being a strange, mesmerising fusion of science and accidental art, it coaxes me into a wistful mood – when I played Just Cause 2, it was my experience, and a satisfyingly solitary one of exploration and carnage. But on PCs and consoles the world over, others experienced something very similar. Every corner I turned around would, somewhere, feature a player death: ghosts everywhere, an endless dance of death all around me as I blindly, selfishly staggered on my own disaster-strewn journey.
By Alec Meer via rockpapershotgun.com

Other stuff



0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More