page views

Modern Warfare 3 : “It’s not just about London or Manhattan”

by Daniel Pepper

On Monday the 23rd I was lucky enough to attend a Pre-E3 event for Modern Warfare 3. I headed in with expecting low expectations as the bar was set so high in Modern Warfare 2 and I couldn’t think how they could improve an already polished title. 
Now watching the pre-trailer before the actual gameplay footage I took down a few notes.
The trailer mainly was a montage of flashbacks to the previous Modern Warfare titles.
Once the trailer finished probably the god of Call of duty presented the Modern Warfare 3 gameplay Robert Bowling @FourZeroTwo on twitter. He also presented it along side Glen Schofield from Sledgehammer Games.
Please note: The below content will contain spoilers.

Manhattan: They showed us some exhilarating gameplay from the American side of things. The mission took place in Manhattan with the objective of getting to the Stock Market roof to take out a satellite uplink which I believe was leaking US Intel to the Russians. During the fight you see a lot of different added gameplay elements. AK47, P90’s and MP5’s make a return along with Red dot sights and holographic sights. Not only will the sights make a return but also an extra sight for more focus it seems. During the gameplay when using an AK47 and an MP5 it seemed that you could equip and extra sight on it to focus on the aiming. It is a great feature for those who are not very accurate.
The gameplay was brilliant and very fast paced, I was constantly on edge looking at the gameplay wondering what was going to happen next as it seems to play slightly different from previous Modern Warfare titles. The gameplay continued into a few buildings where Russians try to infiltrate the American forces as you push through to get to the Stock Market.
Once thing I noticed straight away was how much detail has gone into the scenery, weapons and characters. They look more realistic and suited and booted compared to Modern Warfare 2. 
London
The next part of the presentation they should us was and English mission this time taking place in London. As soon as I heard London my excitement grew. The London mission was very different compared to the Manhattan mission we watched, other than the obvious reasons that it’s in a different location both of the forces fight differently.
Bravo 6 (the name of the squad) infiltrated a doc where the enemy (not sure who) was importing weaponry and other goods to help support there fight against the English forces.
The start of the mission see’s your squad which I assume is apart of the S.A.S  breach buildings containing enemy occupants.  The mission started of to be very stealthy, silencers on during the breach of the building. It was great and felt like I was watching a movie.
Once the buildings have been infiltrated all hell breaks loose as the enemy’s notice that they are under attack. After fighting your way through with SGT Pearce you chase after what it seems to be a leader or someone who is important. During the chase you will head to the London Underground perusing the hijacked train which is a constant on-edge scene plays very well. With the sudden end of seeing the train derail and take down almost the whole of London with it… Well a lot of the underground any who the mission fades to white and that was it.
Now I have to admit my expectations before the event were low, due to the fact that Modern Warfare 2 was a great title and Black Op’s didn’t match up to my expectations. Now after seeing this preview event I am going to have to change my doubt as I am now excited for the title. It’s going to be a competitive winter this year it seems with Battlefield 3 on the horizon.
300px-XM25_July_2009

Now after all that War we headed into the open bar and I grabbed myself a Japanese Beer. Very tasty. I then came across the man himself Robert Bowling, me being a bit stupid not recognizing it was the famous FourZeroTwo I asked him a few questions after I realised how much of a fool I was.
Where will the War be taking place? Robert: You won’t just be fighting in New york or London but you will be fighting everywhere across Europe. 
With the English mission will the fight only take place in London or will it happen all over England?
Robert: I’m not sure what I can say really but London will play a huge role in the story line, but you will fight in other locations in England as well.
Will any previous Call of Duty characters appear in the title… Like the beloved Captain Price?
Robert: Haha I really can’t say.
Will Modern Warfare 3 have a complete new engine compared to Modern Warfare 2?
Robert: It won’t  be a complete new engine but it’s an improved one that will continue to keep the competitive solid 60FPS in the campaign and multiplayer.
How long have Infinity Ward, Activision and Sledgehammer been working on Modern Warfare 3 for? Robert: A solid 2 years.
Any scenes like the previous ‘No Russian’ mission in Modern Warfare 2 will cause the Media to be in shock?
Robert: Well we didn’t aim to do that with the game but there are many things that will shock players.

After the interview and a beer I headed back home and looked up some of the weapons I noticed in the gameplay. I don’t know much about guns/ weapons so I had to do some research.
During the Manhatton gameplay we also got to see a new flash bang which is known as a 9-bang grenade.

Me and Robert Bowling
There was also another type of Rocket launcher that I don’t think I i have name correct. I thought it was an X11 but I can’t seem to find it on the internet. I then came across an XM25., which look’s like the gun that was shooting the crap out of Russians.   I will keep looking however and post the audio I recorded to the site shortly after this post and see what you guys come up with.
Previous Modern Warfare 2 guns will also be present along with duel scopes on certain guns.
I came across the MP5K and the AK47and the P90. No other guns were on show sadly.


http://www.push-start.co.uk/pc/modern-warfare-3-its-not-just-about-london-or-manhattan

Other stuff



0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More